A cape!

cape 1

A little boy that I know just had his 3rd birthday. Back when I had a 3 year old, more than 20 years ago, I made some capes for the preschool auction. At the time, I traced around a cape among the school’s dress ups onto a brown paper bag as a pattern to cut around. The question I asked myself was whether I still had the paper pattern in my sewing cupboard, or did I throw it out? It’s hard to know what size to make a cape for a 3 year old, if you don’t have a 3 year old around, to measure at home. I looked for the brown paper pattern, and couldn’t find it. I had a vague memory of throwing it out. Then I remembered that I had cut out a cape of pirate fabric that I never finished. If I still had it, it would be in my box of children’s and novelty fabric. I found it on the very bottom of that box! I used it as a pattern to cut out two pieces of fabric, one for the front, and one for the back. Although I originally intended for the alef-bet fabric to be the front, I think in reality the orange will be the front. I machine appliqued an “A” on the orange for his name. Orange is his favorite color. The little red square is Velcro.

cape 2

Here’s the other “front.”

This entry was posted in Work In Progress. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *